Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Coronation

I probably should watch it tonight, but the crowning of Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate for president simply doesn’t interest me. What can he say that I haven’t already heard, or that might make me switch allegiance? It’s all rah-rah stuff anyway, and I can’t imagine him saying anything so stupid as to jeopardize his candidacy. What’s the point?

Making history, perhaps? But if we’re supposed to be so color blind, that angle shouldn’t be important. Becoming President of the United States is history making enough. I would rather hope that he would make a good leader than have any concern about his race or nationality. Not that I expect that, but it ought to be the issue.

Let’s face it: the media and the liberal elite simply want someone not George W. Bush to be our next president. If it were Hillary getting the nod, or even that former candidate now VP choice Joe Biden, there’d be the same clamor of partisanship. I’m no more impressed about his nomination speech than I will be of John McCain’s next week. Nothing of import should happen at a convention.

Now, the next nine weeks? I’ll be glued to the news. But that’s the part that matters. Until then, I’m going to bed early. Denver’s football field means more when the Broncos are at home.

No comments: