Saturday, August 30, 2008

North to Alaska!

Well, well, well. I am shocked; completely taken aback. I never saw it coming, and it’s either a masterstroke of political genius or just plain reckless. But at first sight, I have to say I like Sarah Palin and applaud John McCain’s move in selecting her as his running mate.

She’s anti-abortion and a member of the National Rifle Association. A mother with a son heading heading into harm’s way. She has experience in business and government. Plus, and I really hate to get into this as it’s far too much of a political statement than a substantive one, her place on the ticket blunts any talk about making history from the Democratic ticket. As the saying goes, it looks good on paper.

Mrs. Palin is a reflection of the last frontier American: self-sufficient and individualistic. A maverick of sorts, and that plays into McCain’s maverick image of himself. She is from a small state, but that may be an advantage too, as a sort of underdog.

Will it work? Who knows at this point, but I’m actually excited at the choice. I have to believe that conservatives will like her too. Inexperience may hurt her and the campaign, but even that issue is a bit of a wash considering Obama’s similar lack of big government training. I should reserve judgment pending a more thorough look into her positions and political actions, but right this minute, Wow. Good, bold move, Mr. McCain.

No comments: