Thursday, September 25, 2008

The $700 Billion Swindle

Just what in the world does President Bush think he’s doing? I’m not saying that the mortgage issue isn’t important, but why this proposed significant expansion of the government’s power in ‘saving’ the industry? Why should the government (which in fact of course means you and me, folks) save these people from their own folly?

Are we to believe that the whole country will all fall down without a bailout? It strikes me as too fantastic a scenario to put any real credence in it. Besides, shouldn’t something poorly managed fail if for no other reason than to allow for something better to take its place? I cannot believe that a market system would not cure itself if only Washington got out of the way.

But that’s dreaming; we are so far beyond a true market system that there’s really little point in discussing that option. The real issue here is the very thought that government is the answer rather than the solution, and sadly, Republicans hold a lot of blame for that rancid idea becoming so prominent lately. I adore Ronald Reagan and think he’ll eventually be seen as one of our greatest Presidents; but he should have never bailed out Chrysler. My original wholehearted support for George W. Bush has waned in light of his No Child Left Behind Act and his current push for the mortgage bailout. The GOP isn’t supposed to be in favor of such schemes. That’s why I vote Republican.

The party is simply leaving its roots, my friends, and that’s sad. Without good roots, things die. Generally painfully.

No comments: