Saturday, September 6, 2008

A hopefully golden Silence

I started to write about several different things in the last few days and have not; it’s a tribute to my sometimes lack of discipline yet perhaps the gods simply keeping my mouth shut that I don’t get into too much trouble. Either way, I do have some reason behind my silence.

I could have spoken more about Kwame Kilpatrick, but what new can be said? He is so clearly an arrogant, self satisfied jerk (he even gives politicians a bad name!) that it seems anymore to glorify the man even when denouncing his antics. So we’ve ‘set him up for a comeback’, in his own words. I believe that speaks the loudest and truest about his value to us and his own inflated sense of self worth. What more can be said?

Now, Sarah Palin, that’s a story. She rocked the house Wednesday evening, and the Dems had better be quaking in their boots at the prospect of what she could to their chances in November. She may fail spectacularly; she is inexperienced on the national stage. Still, some of our best leaders came from relatively nowhere. Think, and I very much mean this comparison, Abe Lincoln. Shame on CNN for trying to downplay her impact on the audience both in the convention hall and on television; so much for big media objectivity. Nevertheless, I don’t see how I could have helped her, given the overall wide and public early approval of her speech. So I kept quiet.

I guess what I hope to do is to find the lesser but yet important things to say, things the major media aren’t addressing. Not that those two tales are unimportant. They’ve just been covered by others and I didn’t see what I could add to the discussion. I’m not saying that I won’t keep quiet about such in the future. Right now, it simply seemed their times to, well, shine on their own merits. Or demerits, in Kilpatrick’s case. Silence, letting the story tell itself, is sometimes the best teacher.

No comments: