Thursday, September 18, 2008

Should I Care?

Wall Street. Every time there’s a problem in the stock market, it seems that I’m expected to panic. And I suppose I should be a bit more concerned; I have little understanding of how the markets work but still some vague idea that it’s bad for me somehow when it takes a dive. But what can I do about it anyway? I don’t invest, and my day seems okay so far despite yesterday’s 446 point, um, dip.

I remember a 500+ dip in 1987 and there was no discernible concern. Sure, there have been two deep drops this week, but still, how do I know that it isn’t a simply market correction (Whatever THAT is)? But my point is: why are drops sometimes traumatic and sometimes ho-hum?

Personally, I believe that a lot of it is simple psychology. When we feel good, bad blips are almost ignored. When we’re unsure, every downturn is magnified. So, does that mean I think that much of what happens is based on perception?

In terms of business, yes, I think I do. Consequently, I think the same way I do about oil prices: get a backbone, people. Don’t fret about imagined future worries so much that you can’t act today except out of fear, and don’t let today ruin the future. Just, do your job.

That’s all I’ve got. If it’s too vague, well, what do expect out of general principles?

No comments: