Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Maher Markets

Today I was going to facetiously praise the nation's economic bailout plan; then the DOW fell under 10,000 and that seemed like a bad idea. Or maybe I could have made something good out of that. Oh well; I'm tired of the subject anyway.

Then I saw an article in today's Detroit Free Press about Bill Maher's new mockumentary, 'Religulousity' or something like that. He goes around basically mocking organized religion as though it were good journalism. And probably for some laughs too, him being a comedian.

I am curious to see it, although I'm sure it will inflame me a la Michael Moore's junky attempts at satire and slander. But why should I? When he avows in an interview that all the seriously religious are extremists, I think we can safely assume that fair play is out the window. If he really wants us, the seriously religious, to forsake our creeds, he needs to find a better way to channel his energy. You get more flies with honey...

I know that some will readily dismiss me as closeminded. After all, if I haven't seen the film I can't judge it.

Rubbish. I know that naked women are in Playboy without opening the cover. And I suspect that Mr. Maher is closeminded too. That's how films like his get made: those all so very sure of themselves just love to point out the folly of us fools. So bear in mind that if you see it, it was almost certainly made with the same zealotry and arrogance which we are accused of employing against nonbelievers.

The difference is, if we are true to our creed, we love him anyway.

No comments: