Thursday, December 25, 2008

Venite, Adoremus Dominum!

I drink too much. I have lazy streak a yard wide and a mile long. I do not do enough for the poor and downtrodden, and I do not do enough for my family. I am unfair and unkind to people I don't even know, and to too many that I do know. I waste time on trifles, time which could and should be used for better purposes. Yet God sent His only Son, for the redemption of souls like mine.

As St. Paul says, Christ 'emptied himself' and became one of us. Because, in part, he had to become like us so that we might understand him. So also that we may not say He was unfair; he faced trials like we do, lost friends, fasted and prayed, and ultimately died on trumped up charges. For the salvation of souls; for my salvation. He wants a personal relationship with each one of us so much that he gave 'that last true measure of devotion', as Lincoln said of the troops at Gettysburg but which sounds more appropriate here at Christmas, to be said for the One who best understood devotion.

He has come. He has come for us!

Gloria in excelsis Deo! Et in terra pax hominibus!

O come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord!

Merry Christmas.

No comments: