Friday, January 16, 2009

Farewell, Mr. President.

Yesterday evening, George W. Bush offered his parting words to the nation as his Presidency draws to a close. While his talk was not as compelling as the great Ronald Reagan's back in 1989, it was still good, and offered a glimpse at the real differences between Democrats and Republicans, himself and the President-elect.

The President was positive; Obama as I said here earlier has been negative. He assured us that he acted by following his conscience, which is what we expect of anyone. But what's more, he expressed hope in the our country and in our future. Contrast that with Barack Obama's 'this could be really bad' outlook and ask yourself, "Who would I really rather have leading my country?"

You see, leadership is more than instituting policy. It is inspiring people towards a common goal, assuring them that in themselves lies the power for improvement. It is seeking truth and being decisive about what to do with it. It is about recognizing that there is good and evil in the world which must be dealt with on that level. As the President said, there can be no compromise between the two. Do Barack and the Democrats understand that as well as the American people do? In defining how the world works, I'll take W's view over the liberal psychobabble about just getting along any day.

So as the President leaves office, I proudly say that I still support him. I am proud that I voted for him twice and would have voted for him again ahead of the erstwhile Illinois Senator. What others call arrogance I call certainty of cause: he really believes in what he's attempting to do. I think that that's what most Americans want: clarity. Even if you disagree there's no doubting where he stood. Don't think for a moment that Obama and his ilk don't have that a same confidence. Yet they will never be called arrogant for it.

Farewell, Mr. President. History will treat kinder to you than your peers have been.

No comments: