Monday, January 26, 2009

The Fight is On

President Barack Obama is considering letting each state set its own emissions and fuel standards for automobiles. As I like the idea of more power being granted to the states I have no essential problem with this move. What will be interesting, though, is how it will influence Washington's relationship with the auto industry.

On its own terms I'm not sure what to make of it; it does seem unfair that any given industry within the same country should have to deal with varying standards. Still, we are a federal union, which of course means the entities which comprise that union must have basic control of their geographical areas. The issue of where to draw the line is often contentious.

The move cannot help an already ailing segment of our economy. Yet even as I try to diagnose the question I find myself with a sense of glee at the implications. All those UAW workers who love the Democrats must be at the least perplexed just now. Those voters here in Michigan have got to feel a bit let down that their savior is showing his true liberal colors. If they've never understood it before, let them have a taste of the environmental extremism which this signals. Let them see what liberal policy really is, and hopefully think a little more deeply about voting for this sort of stuff the next time around. Let experience, the harshest teacher, give them a lesson in life.

And when the auto industry can't rebound, don't come crying to me. You get what you deserve in the end.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

If you keep this up I am not going to order you that nice "O" train with special "yes we can" caboose...

Charles Martin Cosgriff said...

I'm sorry. LOL!