Sunday, January 11, 2009

Going to Forest

Yesterday was quite the good day. I went with my daughter and two friends to a bonspiel (curling tournament) in Forest, Ontario and we placed third in our flight even though we didn't win. But...we didn't lose, either! We tied both games.

That's actually a bit of an accomplishment, I think. The others on my team, my daughter Abby and my good friends Ed Hooft and Tim Scheuer, were curling very well for me, and if I could have put up a couple decent guards at key points (that's a bit of curling strategy which I won't go into further detail here) we may have won both matches. Nevertheless, it was a good time.

It was great to see many old friends at Forest. The people I went with have gone with me several times, and I have been attending this particular spiel for about twenty years myself, so I've developed several friendships there. That's one of the nicest things about curlers: they're almost always good sports, and that makes them good friends. Anywhere there's curling, there's friendship.

We had to deal with snow, mostly on the way home, but it did not dampen our spirits (thanks for driving, Ed!). I was even pretty good about keeping my emotions in check, I think (hope?); Abby complains that I get too intense when curling so I had to promise to behave. I only swore once, though it was a bad one. Sorry, guys.

I also scored two litres of Jameson's for $29 bucks at duty free; does it get any better than that?

As always, I'm looking forward to the same tournament next year. There's never a bad time in a curling club!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats curlin' with Ferlin!