Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Humility

Humility is one of the oddest of virtues. We should at least strive for it, yet it kind of slips between the fingers when we try to hold it. As one of my old parish priests explained to me, "The difficult thing about it is that once you realize that you feel humble, you're really not humble anymore."

I think he makes a good point. A little bit of pride creeps in: 'Yeah, I'm humble. How about that?' Or it can go the other way: you start to become almost embarrassed and, perhaps, hide. There's no need to shrink from it if it's sincere.

So if you indulge humility, you aren't humble. Yet if you try to ignore it, you aren't giving it its due.

Just another cross we humans must bear, I suppose.

Man, that was a good post. I mean no, no it wasn't.

Hmmm...

No comments: