Sunday, March 1, 2009

Back in Town

For those of you wondering why I had no new blogs for the last few days, it was because I was Louisville, Kentucky for the International Pumpers Environmental Expo. It used to be called the Pumpers and Wastehaulers Show, but they've changed it. I guess they're trying to clean up their act.

That's a waste industry joke. Just so you know.

You see, I sell drain cleaning and diagnostic equipment. Consequently, I sell to people who pump waste out of systems (septic tanks and grease trap companies) and haul it off, as well as to plumbers who open clogged drains. If you ever have a clogged drain and your plumber doesn't have genuine Electric Eel equipment, get another plumber.

That's a shameless plug for my products. Just so you know.

It was not a good weekend economically; I don't think we quite broke even on our sales against our costs. But sometimes you have to do things like trade shows simply to network. We never really know how many long range sales we may earn from contacts made back in the day. A little glad handing can't hurt. Besides, sometimes we've made money way beyond our costs. I suppose it balances out over time.

I think the best thing about the show was the company dinner Friday night. It was great to see the other sales staff from around the country. Several of us went out for a couple drinks after the dinner and had a great time. It was just like being with my curling friends in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

That's a compliment to my great friends at the Roseland Curling Club. Just so you know.

No comments: