Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Sublime to the Ridiculous

Yes, I suppose that title is a redundancy today, but it fits the mood of what I want to talk about. Perhaps Obamabomb IV would be more appropriate, but I'm saving that for something more heinous.

The Obamas are visiting Europe for the first time and of course they paid a visit to the Queen while in London. They were given a signed portrait of Her and her husband, Prince Philip. I know they're royalty and all, but doesn't a signed portrait seem pretentious?

But in return, the Obamas gave the Queen an iPod. Fully loaded.

Now, why would you presume to know what the Queen of England would like on an iPod? Why might it occur to you that she would like one at all? Can anyone really imagine her traipsing down the corridors of Buckingham Palace with a swing to her step listening to the latest tunes?

The whole gift giving thing just strikes me as going from the sublime to the ridiculous, with an emphasis on ridiculous.

Yet speaking of ridiculous, I went out last night and, with instruction, hit a bucket of golf balls in anticipation of this weekend's 'Swing and sweep' golf and curling tournament at my curling club. I hit them quite well. Very well, in fact. After years of the game doing absolutely nothing for me I find that I'm beginning to like golf.

You know what that means, don't you? That I'm getting old. I'm staring to like old people stuff. I'll be wanting an iPod next.

I sure hope the President and the Missus visit soon.

No comments: