Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dave Bing and Hockey Pucks

Well, I did not have my wishes granted yesterday. Not at all.

In the first place, former basketball star and current businessman Dave Bing was elected mayor of Detroit. As I mentioned in this space about 24 hours ago, I have nothing against the one time Piston, but I am not sure that business success leads to political progress. Indeed my real fear is that it is little more than egotistical: having never held office before, Mr. Bing's running for mayor isn't much more than trying to add window dressing to his life. Still, there's no reason that he could not become a good leader for our city. The late Jack Kemp came off the gridiron and into a solid political career of no small success. Time, as she always does, shall tell.

At least we get Ken Cockrell back as president of the city council as opposed to that idiot Monica Conyers.

On another front, I am thankful that I did not commit the emotional investment of staying up to watch the Detroit Red Wings in their late night playoff game which ended early this morning. They lost, 2-1, when the referee waved off a goal because he meant to blow the play dead. He didn't actually blow the whistle, but he meant to, which in National Hockey League-speak means that he in fact did it. If you aren't going, huh?, at that, then I would have to question your sanity.

NHL refs are the worst, period. I've believed that for years and I stand by it. They will call the most minor contact as interference yet allow violent cross checks all the time. They stink, and quite frankly are part of the reason hockey cannot and will not make the big time in the United States.

So there's my disappointments of the day gone by. Today being, of course, another day, and with no hockey games or mayor's races to concern me, I expect it to be a better one. So long!

No comments: