Monday, June 15, 2009

Elections in Iran: Part Deux

As I find myself home for lunch (working within a block and a half of your job can be a tremendous advantage for the erstwhile blogger) today I thought it wise to study the news as it develops. By great good fortune I see that there are events today which allow me the opportunity to expound on what I posted earlier this morning.

It appears that, contrary to my ominous warnings of about four hours ago, a Moslem cleric has acted in a way which I predicted he would not. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of Iran, has ordered a probe into possible election fraud from Friday's vote in the conservative Islamic nation. I had averred, given that his candidate seemed to have won and he had accepted the result, the prelate would never reconsider his position.

He has not, per se, at this point. But he has directed the Guardian Council to investigate allegations of fraud in this increasingly momentous event in Iran's history. Apparently the depth of the protests by the Iranian people have caused him to reassess his position. This after he on Saturday called the re-election of current President Ahmedinejad a 'divine assessment'.

Did I jump the gun in the wee hours of this day? It would not have been the first time in my 49 years on this orb that I have. Nevertheless, it creates an interesting situation. One that I shall monitor much closely than I had planned.

No comments: