Thursday, June 25, 2009

Not So Wrong as I Hoped I Was

It turns out that the ruling class of Iran isn't so willing to look into election irregularities as I had hoped they might. Reports now are that thousands of government troops and civilian militias are out and about to quell what has dwindled down to mere hundreds of protesters. Supreme Ruler Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has made it clear that the election results will stand, meaning that the madmen will keep power.

I really never should have given them the time of day last week when I expressed hope that they might actually reconsider their original position. Tyranny breeds tyranny, and tyranny does not give up without being smashed. Still, with the memory of how easily Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union fell from communism, I had though that, just maybe, we might see another miraculous turn of events.

Now we see what radical Islam actually intends: to keep people under its thumb. There is no negotiating with such a force, as the Iranian opponents of the Ayatollah have experienced personally and directly. Madmen don't compromise. It's as simple as that.

Mr. President, are you paying attention now?

No comments: