Saturday, June 13, 2009

Personal Revelation.

I did not watch the bulk of last night's Stanley Cup Game Seven between the hometown Detroit Red Wings and the now champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Part of the reason you know: it isn't worth the emotional investment. But more than that, in this instance. I knew last week that if the Wings didn't win the third game of the series that they would not win the Cup.

Don't ask me how, but I swear that I simply knew. Consequently, I did not have too difficult of a time essentially ignoring the series as it progressed. But to my real point this morning: beyond innocuous and ultimately unimportant events such as sports and games, I believe that there are times where, for our own good, we are simply told things which we need to know, things which generally cannot be proven within the scope of reason alone.

What I am speaking of is nothing less than personal revelation, and I see no reason why such revelation should not come from God. Yet I understand that this is a dangerous ground upon which I trod, for obviously, it is an area fraught with trouble. That does not mean my point is invalid. For it stands to reason (you should note that I never said reason is completely beyond the realm of revelation; it cannot be) tests of revealed truth exist.

If a voice in you head says to rob or murder, reason tells us that revelation would not encourage that. I could give out may more examples but I think the point is already made. God may well tell you from time to time what you need to do, with no explanation. There will simply be a morsel of knowledge planed within you for your aid merely because it is impossible to know everything on reason alone. You cannot argue by reason whom you should marry, yet you may be told who it is, if you listen, and have a bushel of trouble avoided.

That morsel will never be unreasonable. All you need to do is be open to it when it comes.

No comments: