Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday Musings

Do you ever get tired of all the politicians who think they are above everyone else even when the dice are stacked against them so obviously? Monica Conyers, Detroit City Councilwoman, has had her day in court, yet she still asked her adviser about her chances of reelection. The Governor of South Carolina, Mark Sanford, apologizes for a trip to see his mistress and compares himself to King David. Can they not see the arrogance that their questions infer? You're caught, folks, the jig is up. The very least you can do is back out as gracefully as you can.

I kind of feel sorry for Farrah Fawcett. She has been inadvertently overshadowed by the death the same day she passed on by Michael Jackson.

It would be easy to criticize both of their life choices. I find myself very quick to think of the issues and events in their lives negatively, so much so that I have to remind myself that none of that matters now. Whatever mistakes they may have made, the right response to their deaths is to pray for them. God will handle the rest; they will have to answer the questions about their lives. We should, I should, take more interest in the questions He will ask me. That thought is scary enough that it should be problems others may have to rest so far as I'm concerned.

Indeed, Ms. Conyers and Mr. Sanford should get our prayers too. The one difference is that they are still alive and as such their positions relative to their constituents are fair game. Even so, and I am guilty of not following this guide on too many occasions, those issues should be handled with charity.

No comments: