Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Anti-Twitter Movement.

As many of you may realize, seeing as my Twitter updates appear on these very pages, I am a Twitterer. There is a part of me that does not care for such obviously self-aggrandizing ploys, yet it seems to be one way of trying to gain a bit of notoriety in this world. So when my daughter suggested I Twitter, well, after careful thought and consideration (perhaps four minutes) I leapt into the era of regular status updates in the admitted hope of drawing attention to my writing and my blog.

Still, it feels quite brass to do it. Indeed, the whole idea is somewhat embarrassing: who could possibly, really want to know what I'm doing at any given point in my admittedly blase life? Much of the time I'm not interested in what I'm doing, and I have to actually do it. More often than not, what I am doing is rather mundane: watching a ballgame, or having a conversation so loaded with small talk that it practically evaporates into the air as the words as spoken. Who cares?

There is no denying that there is that part of me who wants the attention. The very act of writing blogs and books calls attention to the fact. Yet those actions appear to me more in depth, more of import (one hopes) to the general population and the average reader. It is in those areas where I want people to find me, not in the silly and often random actions of a given moment on a typical day.

Therefore, I will do things in my own way. I will Twitter, but on events and acts from my past rather than my present. I will, I have, begun the Anti-Twitter Movement. My future Twitter updates, with rare and needed exceptions, will be about what I have done instead of what I am doing. It will be, I assure you, refreshing rather than dull and unexceptional.

Check it out every day on my Twitter updates. They will be history instead of spur of the moment. And you have to admit, the irony is delicious.

No comments: