Monday, July 27, 2009

A This and That Monday Blog

Some economists say the recession is ending. Some say that it is nowhere near over. What? It has always amazed me the number of experts in any given field who, though supposed experts, disagree. Where does that leave the general public? Likely enough, ignoring the experts. What else can we do? If they can't agree, how can we place any trust in what any of them say?

Mick Jagger is upset that his daughters have posed topless. So far as that goes, I'm with him. If my daughter were to do such a thing I would be too. But I think the main lesson here is how aging colors our viewpoint, generally to the good. The old Rolling Stone didn't mind creasing envelopes when he was performing yet has found it uncomfortable when his progeny do so. Too close to home, Mick? Or is your vision clearer when something touches more directly upon you than on an amorphous group of uptight parents, oh, who are just out there somewhere?

I have yet to see a newly released movie this summer season. Nothing really excites me of what is available. Anyone else feel that way?

Sarah Palin is stepping down as Governor of Alaska. No one knows what she's planning, but everyone suspects she intends a run for the White House in 2012. Me, I'm trying to make up my mind about that. The GOP could use a fresh face, and, quite frankly, she's not all that fresh anymore. I still like her, and comebacks aren't so unusual as many political wags want you to believe: Ronald Reagan made a fantastic return to presidential politics after a tough 1976 campaign was supposed to have stifled his chances of gaining our nation's top office. My early, early wish on the next election cycle is for her to go for it while she has plenty of time to gain momentum. But I would also like to look at the other prospects as well to see what they may offer.

The Iranian government is cracking down on opposition within its borders. Looks like I was way off on that one. I should know better than to hope a cat would change its stripes; while the unexpected does sometimes happen, it usually doesn't. Particularly with rogue and extremist regimes.

The Tigers won three out of four from their nearest rival, the Chicago White Sox, this weekend, putting them two games up with two games in hand. It's too early to assume too much about the outcome of this season, but it was a good weekend for the locals. Now if they could just ramp up the offense...

That's all for now. I simply wanted to end on a positive note. And that last bit is positive enough for me.

No comments: