Saturday, August 15, 2009

Woodbridge: Movie Mecca of Michigan?

As I write, there are actual movie folks out on mine and my neighbor's front lawns discussing angles, lighting, timing, and all sorts of other minutia as they prepare to film. They will actually film here in about ten days. It is, I believe, a murder mystery set in post-Katrina New Orleans.

It fascinates me that film producers could think of our little home area (the Woodbridge District of Detroit, MI) as a stand in for that now famous city down in Louisiana. As I said, it is to be set after the now infamous hurricane, so I understand that they are going to create garbage and place it around the neighborhood. Further, there will be several days when we cannot park our cars in the street. This will be a challenge as none of us have driveways and few have garages, but for the sake of getting our homes on film, and straight to DVD no doubt, we will tolerate these minor inconveniences.

This is not the first time there has been filming around these parts. Several years ago the movie Out of Sight, with George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez, had many scenes shot nearby. Close enough in fact that the back of my house is clearly in one shot, and side views appear in two other places.

Terrence Howard is supposed to be here for much of the shooting. I can't quite place him but I know I've heard the name. Be that as it may (I'll check out imdb eventually) it should be fun, even as I will have to sneak in and out of the back of my house while the work progresses. And maybe, just maybe, my 1898 Victorian will make her second appearance in films.

No comments: