Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Man Called Ernie

Legendary Detroit Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell has been diagnosed with an incurable cancer. Yet like the class act which he embodies, he's taking it in stride. His Faith is his strength, and he is 'ready for a new adventure'.

I'm not sure that I can say anything more about it. His life, his spirit, are the things which speak the loudest now. If ever a man had a right to keep a chip on his shoulder, Ernie does. Yet he does not do that. I'm not talking here about his illness; we all must face that someday and he is handling it just the right way. I mean in the way the Tigers (or WJR as the case may be) have handled him: mercilessly removing him from the radio booth until public sentiment simply forced his return. Yet he handled the situation with grace and, indeed, humility.

He's a song and book writer, columnist, and in every way an active, caring human being. It's long gone; a woman from Sterling Heights caught that ball; he stood there like the house by the side of the road: none of these phrases will ever sound the same. I still hear his voice when I think about Tigers history.

As I have said too many times recently, there will never be another one like him. God Bless, Mr. Harwell, and God be with you.

No comments: