Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Evolution: Why the Insane Reaction?

Why is it that one of the very first criticisms which typically spew forth from defenders of evolution is that those against it are religious nut cases? Why are they so afraid of religion if it so obviously (in their view) means so little?

I have posted here on several occasions that evolution as a theory may or may not be true; I have not condemned it. Indeed I believe I have been very generous in allowing it whatever sway it may have amongst the scientific world. I concede, once again, that maybe it is true. Yet when I caution that the theory my, only may, mind you, go beyond its evidence, I find myself subjected to nothing less than vile contempt and uncalled for vitriol.

To be sure, this isn't the reaction (one hopes) of the evolutionists writ large. Yet the viciousness of the attacks by at least a few of them suggest something rather disconcerting. Something which can only be labeled reactionary. For if it is only by outlandish behavior that they can make their point, perhaps we haven't evolved very much at all.

No comments: