Friday, January 8, 2016

Why must we have a winners and losers?

A tie is like kissing your sister.

-Attribute this quote to your preferred source.

Why can't we have ties? Why can't a game end with each team having the same score? Why must there be a winner and a loser?

Aren't there games where a tie is the ideal outcome? My curling team played a game last night against (obviously) another curling team. Both squads read the ice well, swept well, called good line, and made impressive shots. And to be fair, I suppose, we each made similar mistakes. And we tied.

It was a great tie. I don't see where either team outplayed the other so as to merit a win or deserve a loss. Why not let ties stand?

Even in championship matches, even at the highest levels, why not let them stand? Why must we have one single champion? If each team played equally, why can't they each, in effect, win?

I ask, are sports about winning or losing or about sportsmanship? If about the former, I wonder how sportsmanlike they actually are. If about the latter, then we should let ties stand.

Last night's curling match did not feel like kissing my sister (although I would only do that on her cheek, and only when there were no easy way to avoid it). It felt like both teams won. So, let both teams win. It seems appropriately sportsmanlike to me.

No comments: