Monday, February 29, 2016

The Leap Day post

It's February 29th today, that Leap Day we get every 4 years because it squares the calendar to the Earth's orbit so that the seasons remain consistent. Of course, every hundred years there is no Leap Day. Except every 400 years, that is, in which there is one. That is meant to counterbalance the over time which occurs because of Leap Days after 400 years. So 2000 was a Leap Year, and 2100 will not be. All of that makes sense somehow.

So what to do with the extra blog this year? I thought about looking up what's happened on Leap Days in the past. But there being so few of them nothing really exciting appears to have happened on them. Well, Davy Jones of the Monkees died suddenly on Leap Day 2012. That, however, simply doesn't seem exciting. It's rather sad really. Plus, I've used the what happened today gimmick often enough that it's kinda stale.

I should write something witty and erudite. Yet nothing really comes to mind this minute, and I'm burning daylight. Maybe something profound?

Nope. I got nuthin'.

Of course, the Detroit Tigers open spring baseball with their annual game against Florida Southern University this afternoon. That's enough to make today special for all us Tiger fans. Am I right, Samantha?

Of course, if I run on long enough I'll have enough of a post to decently fill a daily blog. I think I've met that requirement.

So there: what did I do with my Leap Day blog? Wasted it on a stream of consciousness ramble, that's what. But watch for February 29, 2020. I'll have a dandy then. I promise.

No comments: