Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Grandpappy's a Pokemon trap

My son and his family were able to stop by the other day, and I found myself in a good conversation with my granddaughter. She had plopped onto our couch as I sat in my chair, and was excitedly telling me about the fun she had taking pictures of the Fourth of July fireworks. They were in the Soo, at the top of the Tower of History tourist attraction there. So they had a great vantage point, and I'm glad that she's getting into a neat hobby.

She was talking about some of the shots she took, but checking her phone regularly. That was fine by me. She's a near teen after all, and I'm okay to get any attention I can get. Not that she has an early case of the teen surlies, if that's what you're thinking.

Suddenly she said, "Keep still, Grandpappy," and rose up to creep towards my chair, pointing that phone straight at me.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked, concerned, well, for me.

"Keep STILL!" she barked, sounding a lot more like a full grown woman than a 12 year old. I kept still.

Stealthily making her way across the living room, she was within about two feet of me before pressing something on her phone. Then triumphantly she turned it around to show me the cartoon bird which was on my shoulder. Which she had 'captured'. "Look what I got!" she said proudly. She had caught a Pokemon. She was playing Pokemon Go as we were talking.

Now I'm the one who felt played.

2 comments:

The mother of the feral tween in question said...

"Not that she has an early case of the teen surlies, if that's what you're thinking."

You never told me you had another granddaughter.

Charles Martin Cosgriff said...

Just the one. We really did have a good talk, and I embellished some things for comic effect. She didn't actually bark at me!