Monday, November 20, 2017

Canada vs. The United States

While channel surfing yesterday I ended up watching a few minutes of the Toronto-Saskatchewan Canadian Football League playoff game. It was on ESPN News, so there must not have been much news to report.
Hey, my many Canadian friends, I joke!
Anyway, it reminded me of all the relatively minor differences between the two games, the NFL here with the CFL there. Let's see how many I can list:
Three downs instead of four.
A one yard neutral zone between the offensive and defensive lines.
12 men on the field per side rather than 11.
Numerous men in motion on the offensive side of the ball, and towards the line of scrimmage (that takes getting used to).
Red penalty flags instead of yellow.
The 'rouge', the single point a defensive team gets if the offense can't get the ball out of the end zone on a punt or kickoff return.
A longer field (110 yards) with deeper end zones (20 yards). They don't have a 50 yard line but a centre line at the 55 yard mark.
A wider field (not sure by how much).
No fair catches on punts, but a five yard halo to allow the catch.
A three minute warning at the end of the half or game. Apparently it takes longer for Canadians to see to their needs (Hey, I joke again!).
Is there more? Maybe. This is what I remembered, and without the help of Wikipedia I might add. Feel free to tack onto this list or correct me. And remember, this is what's starting your Monday off right.
By the way, Toronto won 25-21.












No comments: