Sunday, December 24, 2017

Understating Christmas

I made myself take my morning walk today. And when I say made myself, I mean it. It was cold out there folks.

But it was a good walk. The streets were quiet, and for whatever reason it was nice to see Christmas lights twinkling in the early morning. It made I thought an interesting juxtaposition from their appearances at night. They were more subtle. More sublime in fact.

Lately as I've went to sleep I've kept a small tree which my oldest son bought a few years back, next to my bed. I switch on its lights before climbing under the covers and doze off to its muted glow. Although I like the big tree in the living room, I find I like the small one equally.

Charlie actually bought quite a few of those baby trees, maybe a dozen, placing them all over the house that year, in windows and cubbies, and even in the basement, one by itself on a table over against an inside wall. I remember going downstairs greeted only by that softly lighted little fake evergreen. I found I was extremely happy to see it. I kind of hated turning on the regular lights; it spoiled the weak, tiny reminder of Christmas.

Power is one thing, subtlety another. I like the powerful, grand displays of Christmas. But at times the greatest power seems to come from the smaller things.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: