Monday, January 8, 2018

Reflections on the 2018 Detroit Curling Club Men's International Bonspiel

It was a good weekend. No, check that: it was a great weekend. I curled for only the second time this season. The boys played well in front of me and we won the C Event in this past weekend's DCC Men's curling tournament. I don't think I faced a tough shot with any of my stones, so credit them with the bronze medal. And we had to win our last three games to win the C, so it was no easy ride.

I saw many friends whom I had not seem this curling season, both at the Detroit club where the bonspiel was held and from the Roseland Curling Club in Windsor, Ontario which I've curled out of for about 25 years now, and from several other area clubs. Many of then know I haven't curled much due to my vertigo or whatever the hell it actually is I'm dealing with, and their friendship and encouragement was profound and gratefully acknowledged. Walking up to accept the trophy, I heard several say 'Way to go, Marty' or offer other such encouragement. For a couple seconds there I thought I'd get emotional. We can't have that.

My team and I have great chemistry. We chatter and joke a lot when we're playing well. It either keeps us loose or is a symptom that we are loose, and when we're loose we're a very good local team. The only really bad end I played all weekend was the 8th end of our second Saturday game, when I let myself get knotted up over making my shots. I missed them as a result, so Sunday we made it a point to stay loose. I just hope it didn't bother the other teams. You want to win, but not like that.

Will I ever curl again? Probably. Will I curl again this year? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. I'm still seeing doctors, and about every two or three weeks I have severe dizzy spells which come on so suddenly I can't seem to anticipate them, and are debilitating enough that I can't effectively function for four to six hours. It's scary and a major concern but the MDs can't find an explanation. I don't want to hurt me or anyone else while on the ice. I had issues several times rising up out of my delivery and while squatting down in the house to call the line on a shot. My third, Nick, was even nosing me out of the way so that he could sweep a stone rather than me, just to help avoid an attack. That sort of consideration shows me that my curling friends have my back. It was even shown through facebook and messenger as the weekend went on. It's why I love 'em.

I'm not ready to say I'm back. And I don't want to make a health decision too quickly based on euphoria. Yet for one weekend anyway, all was right with the world.

No comments: