Friday, March 2, 2018

The Eternal Party or, Party Hard

If you're gonna party then you gotta party hard. Not exactly a phrase you'd expect from a Christian, is it? But then, I'm not sure that Andrew W. K. is a Christian. Yet I wonder how much of what he says may in truth be compatible with religion.

I like his song Party Hard. It is arguably, perhaps obviously, religiously ambiguous. Yet in this secular world I think that its basic principles may well be applicable to Christianity. And his point may not actually be religiously ambiguous at all.

Hear me out. No less a Christian apologist than Mr. C. S. Lewis argues that Joy is the serious business of Heaven, and Heaven is a place where dance and frivolity, innocuous and unproductive in our world, is the Serious Business of Heaven. Add to this the secular comedian George Carlin's thoughts that in Heaven we may just be allowed to rave while the damned might be eternally condemned to a head bowed solemnity, I wonder if Mr. W. K.'s opinions are all that outrageous.

We do what we like and we like what we do, he chants. Well, we Christians claim to do that, basically. And we certainly claim that our actions in Heaven will be supremely joyful and we will like them, eh? Myself, I don't care what the secular world wants. I do what I like and I like what I do. I go to Mass every weekend and find it indescribably wonderful; I pray for others even if they don't want it; I want the best for them even though I might find their definition of the best differing from mine (believing nonetheless my dictionary superior to theirs, a view hopefully held with humility). I don't care if my opinion of the best concurs with their opinion of the best. I do what I like and I like what I do. Doesn't that fit their secular machismo (or feminiso, I suppose), by definition?

The Eternal Party. Without it, I do wonder if the secularists are missing something quite sublime?

No comments: