Thursday, May 17, 2018

Juice quest

Where do cravings come from? We can put that into the file of the great unanswerable questions, right? All I know is that most of us experience them. For me yesterday afternoon, all I wanted was grapefruit juice.

That seemed easy enough to satisfy. A trip to the local grocery should suffice.

Arriving there I found the common juices straightaway. Orange and apple were lined up next to one another on the shelves. There was lemonade, lime aid, and apricot juice.

Apricot? Who drinks apricot juice?

A further scan discovered pineapple, cranberry apple, and a fruit medley of some sort. Actually, all kinds of fruit medleys. Cranberry watermelon kiwi. Pink lemonade infused with tea. Apple pineapple strawberry deluxe. Kiwi apple lemonade with a papaya twist and just a hint of Norwegian mountain peach picked fresh daily near the fjords. Ecuadorean sky fruit spiced with Himalayan pink salt. Juices with antioxidants and cleansing properties (whatever they are, and I don't care to speculate). But no grapefruit. Not even its come hither sister, ruby red grapefruit.

I finally broke down and asked an employee for grapefruit juice. "All we have is right there, sir," he explained apologetically.

So I sighed heavily and bought orange juice. But I sulked as I drank it.

No comments: