Friday, May 7, 2010

Saying Goodbye to a Friend

It wasn't too bad after all. And I'm glad that I worked up the courage to do it.

I wasn't going to go to Comerica Park to view Ernie Harwell. I was afraid that I would lose my composure. Yet though the eyes did well up, it was okay, and I am glad I went.

My oldest son tagged along and got a few good pictures, and the company was welcome. The entire event, such as it was, was done tastefully and low key, sort of like you would assume Ernie would want it. We feared there would be vendors hawking stuff, and there weren't. There was free coffee and Gatorade, and that was it. It was a classy send off for a classy guy.

We didn't get there until about 9:30 in the evening and the wait was only about an hour. The line was still long when we left.

We said a little prayer at the coffin and signed the huge card outside. We had to lay on the ground to write, because there were so many signatures and well wishings that the only room left was ground level. We went back to the gates for one last so long, and came home.

An usher said they were expecting a crowd between 75,000 and 100,000. I have to believe they got it. Yes, the tears came. I could only manage a nod to the person at the end of the line who thanked everyone individually for coming. It was difficult, but I'm glad I was there.

Goodbye, Ernie, and Godspeed.

No comments: