Thursday, August 10, 2017

Songs stuck in your head

This is probably in at least semi-poor taste, but I'm going to write it anyway. I mean well, honest. At least, I don't really mean ill.

As I'm sure most of you know, country singer Glen Campbell passed away this week. That's sad news of course. I liked the man and I liked his music. He had charisma, and he had several easily singable tunes in his repertoire. Wichita Lineman, Summer Nights, and, of course, Rhinestone Cowboy, arguably his signature tune.

And that's the rub. I can't get Rhinestone Cowboy out of my head. I hear it constantly these last couple of days. But any song which you can't get out of your head simply becomes annoying after a while.

Believe me, I've tried to shake it. I keep trying to play some of his own other titles in my head and they just won't stick. I try to hum Summer Nights and it flips right back into Rhinestone. I try things far removed from his songs and they fold right back to Rhinestone. Paul McCartney's great ballad Yesterday even bailed on me. In my head I began it, to no use. It went something like, Yesterday...all my troubles seemed like a Rhinestone Cowboy, dat-dah, riding off on a horse...

Godspeed Mr. Campbell. I'll miss you and your music. And I mean no insult this morning good sir.

No comments: