Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Senator Kennedy and the Pope

In a letter released recently, a letter apparently so important that it was handed to Pope Benedict XIV personally by President Barack Obama, the late Senator Edward Kennedy attempts to reach out to the leader of the Catholic Church on a wide range of issues, not the least of which is abortion. He also, and I will say quite reasonably enough, asks for prayers for his soul.

That doesn't bother me. As a Catholic myself, I understand that after death we can do nothing for ourselves and must rely on the generosity of those still here to remember us and aid our salvation through prayer. And as I said last week, the right thing to do for Mr. Kennedy now is just that. Yet I cannot help but wonder if that was all he had in mind in penning his missive to the Holy Father.

The late Bostonian speaks as though he was conflicted over the abortion question. I should hope so. I should hope, really, that he was more than that. Further, he points out how he has always stood for the poor and downtrodden and has worked for them, and assures Rome that the Catholic conscience will be protected in any health care reform which may occur through Washington. Perhaps there is where we discover the actual intent of his address.

Legacy is an interesting unfolding of events after our own deaths, presumably beyond our ability to affect. Yet there is an interesting parallel at work here involving, perhaps ironically, Mr. Kennedy's own older brother. I firmly believe that we would not have put a man on the moon if John Kennedy had not been assassinated. It became a tribute to our 35th Chief Executive to accomplish that goal. We had to do it in his memory.

Is that what the late Senator wants with national health care? More than one political pundit has said as much, as Mr. Kennedy had to know that the letter would become public at some point.

All I can say is that I hope there will be no such groundswell of support. It isn't as likely, seeing as he was not as revered as his elder sibling. But as much as we are obliged to remember his soul and ask God's comfort for those he left behind, we cannot allow that to happen. I am tempted to say that he himself should not be so involved anymore with earthly matters. He has greater concerns at this point on his road.

No comments: