Thursday, April 22, 2010

Reflections

Today is my 50th birthday. They say you're as young as you feel, and I feel about 12 right now.

I suppose we're supposed to reflect on our lives at certain milestone points in them, so I'll go ahead and do that. I'll start by asking why even, decaded numbers (decaded numbers; I'm allowed to make up words today, aren't I? I mean, our birthdays every ten years) are so much more important than others. 51 or 49 aren't so far off the mark, eh? Last year was about the same as this one, and the next one ought not be so different.

Life has been good. I've been married to a good woman willing to tolerate me for almost 30 years and have three great kids, and tomorrow looks good. All those big and not so big issues I talk about are not about to go away, so they'll always be fodder for friendly and not so friendly discussion. Which I like: it keeps the creative juices flowing, and even the people I disagree with are courteous enough to talk back. All you out there who don't like what I say, thanks for reading. I honestly do appreciate it. Your input is always welcome even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

All of you who listen and agree with my drivel, thank you too. It is such support that makes me want to continue. For truth is a beautiful thing; everyone should pursue her with the ardor of the chivalrous knights of old. Wisdom is essentially feminine because she understands on a level more profound than simple, rote knowledge: this is right, do it, or, this is wrong, do not.

To my family and friends, and to all those not so friendly or familial but willing to at least listen, I love you all. From the depths (the very deepest depths) of my heart, have a great day. And have one beer or adult beverage of your choice or coffee or tea or glass of water on old Marty today.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Belated best wishes, Marty!!!!

Sto lat!!!

Charles Martin Cosgriff said...

Why, thank you, my friend!