Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Final Indignity.

As I opened my morning newspaper today, I shot to the sports section as usual. It reported to me that what I had known for weeks was now a mathematical certainty: the Detroit Tigers were eliminated from playoff contention. The bulllpen, again, could not hold a lead.

It was supposed to be our year; many pundits saw an easy ride to a World Series triumph for the club. But as with many sure things, this wasn't such a great call in the end. Injuries hurt us, but lack of execution and poor management hurt too.

I'm no fan of Jim Leyland; he overmanages. Sure, most managers do nowadays, but his actions are particularly galling: taking out a fresh pitcher in the tenth inning of a game against Cleveland, a pitcher who had only faced one batter and got him out, Grady Sizemore no less, only to see the replacement allow a winning homer. To a .235 hitter. Nice move, Skip.

Sure, the book mave had called for that. Ever think that maybe you're reading the wrong book?

Ah well. At least they aren't the Lions. Tiger losses are frustrating, but Lions losses are embarrassing.

No comments: