Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bucket Lists

I had an interesting conversation with a few friends yesterday concerning what we would do before we die. You know, what was on our so-called 'bucket lists'. It turns out that mine is rather short.

I am not a thrill seeker, so hang gliding and parachuting and mountain climbing and the like are out. I do not care to travel, so that's out too. Thrills are overrated, folks, and so is travel. You aren't living any better by making your heart race, nor is seeing the world certain to make you appreciate it more. It may, as Chesterton says, make you appreciate it less, for if you've been raised well you know there's no place like home anyway.

Not that there's anything wrong with the things I mention. If that's what you want to do, fine. But for me, stuff such as enjoying a conversation with my friends over bucket lists suits me well. A curling match, a day at the ballpark, a good book, being with people; that's what I look forward to.

Call it the Bilbo Baggins outlook. If adventure finds me I might just run a risk and go along with it. Generally, though, as the dear Hobbit believes, adventures only make you late for dinner. If there's something better than food and friendship I can't imagine what it is.

No comments: