Saturday, October 24, 2020

Dear me

A friend of mine was unfortunate enough to hit a deer while driving hone from work early yesterday. Thankfully he's okay, yet he can't say the same for his car. Hopefully it can be fixed and roadworthy soon. 

I read his tale on Facebook around 2 o'clock in the morning Friday, as I was marking time before heading out on a road trip. The little voice we all hear but don't always listen to told me to be extra cautious as I drove, to watch closely for deer.

Sure enough, a little before 5 AM and a few miles north of Kenton, Ohio, I looked to my right to see a doe running at full gallop towards the road, out of a farmer's field. Man, that animal was fast. I didn't think deer could run like that. I slammed on the brakes and it was in front of me before I knew it, but somehow we didn't hit. Whether it missed me or I missed it I don't know, but I'm glad of it either way. I don't think it passed more than twenty feet in front if me crossing route 68.

I'm sad for my buddy's rum luck but I wonder if maybe it saved me my own accident. But I feel I owe him a big glass of chocolate milk, his favorite drink.

No comments: