Thursday, October 17, 2024

No Quotes

I have reached the point where I refuse to give out repair quotes over the phone. I'll give you pricing on machinery, cutters, and parts of course. But repairs? Until I know what I'm dealing with I have no idea what a repair is worth.

Some guys can't seem to grasp that. To a point, I understand. If a part is secured using two set screws and they supply the part, why can't I tell them what it would cost?

Ignoring the obvious insinuation that it's easy (if it's that easy, as I've lamented before, then why isn't it done? Why are you calling me?) the fact is I don't know if it'll be simple. Sure, those two screws are right out in the open. But they're also in a larger round part which I have to stabilize before even trying to turn the screws. Then they might be frozen in place, at which time I may have to disassemble the round part in order to secure it in a bench vise that I can apply heat to try to loosen the screws. If that doesn't work I may have to replace the round part. And so on and so forth, until the easy repair runs $150. But I can't tell you twenty bucks over the phone if all goes well because you'll only hear the $20 part, not the 'if all goes well' caution.

Why this rant this day? Because late yesterday I had a customer damn near demand a price on an 'easy' fix. So I told him $200-$500. "That's a big range, Cosgriff."

Yes, but I don't know what I'm dealing with until I get into it. Even then, if I hit $250 they'll insist, "You said two hundred on the phone, Cosgriff!" And then arguing about it. Do you see my point?

Of course you don't. So no more repair quotes over the phone. End of discussion.



No comments: