Saturday, January 14, 2017

The war is over!

The war is over! At least, the Revolutionary War is over. Today. Or, at least, today is recognized by many historians as the end of it.

The Internet is so cool. I had no idea what I was going to say today so I began surfing the net and lo and behold, I discover that on January 14, 1784 the Continental Congress accepted the Treaty of Paris, drawing the conflict into a final close. Who knew? I didn't, and I taught history for 23 years.

In other war related news, Eli Whitney was granted a government contract for 10,000 muskets on this day in 1799. And General Sherman began his famous (or infamous) March to the Sea in the American Civil War in 1864. On more calm grounds, today in 1914 Henry Ford got the first Model T assembly line rolling. For my Canadian friends, Hap Day scored the first hat trick (three goals in one hockey game for you Yanks) for the Toronto Maple Leafs on January 14, 1927. I understand they're still waiting for the second one.

Hey, hey, just going for the joke. But it seems there'a a lot of stuff that's happened worldwide on virtually every day of the year, from politics and war to entertainment. Elvis' Aloha from Hawaii concert was today in 1973 for an example of that. And the clarinet was invented in Germany today in 1690. We'll explore such things again the next day I have a total brain freeze.

No comments: