Friday, September 14, 2018

Me Pops good advice

I delivered a good used Electric Eel to a fine gentleman yesterday. He only needed it for his own property, and it was a good deal for us both: I made a sale and he got a quality drain cleaner at a good price. "I'm not even telling my friends that I have one, or they'll want to borrow it," he explained to me.
I actually slapped my knee and said, "I'm glad you said that. It allows me to tell you me Pops advice on drain snake ownership."
You see, Dad always said there were three rules to owning a drain cleaner.
Don't loan your snake.
Don't loan your snake.
Don't loan your snake.
He would always point out three fingers in quick succession as he recited those rules: pointer, middle finger, ring finger, holding them all up together at the end to emphasize the idea. Folks think drain cleaning is easy. And while it's not brain surgery it does require experience. They'd borrow the snake, damage it somehow through lack of knowledge or ability, and then never get it repaired for you (or promise to pay and not reimburse the owner). It's a fact of life.
So the lesson for today is: don't loan your snake, don't loan your snake, don't loan your snake.





No comments: