Saturday, August 17, 2019

Q-bert

Q-bert was, is, an old video game. As I recall, the character made its way around mazes to a goal of some sort, avoiding hazards along the way. He particularly hated snakes, a fear many of us share.

A few years back two guys were in my Shop, waiting as I repaired an emergency job for their company. As I worked they talked, mostly about Q-bert this or Q-bert that. After awhile I realized they weren't talking about the game but about a person. Finally I asked, "Who's Q-bert?"

 "Sam," one guy responded, naming a fellow employee that I knew from their company.

 "Why do you call him that? I asked, confused.

"Because when he sees a snake, he runs away."

Remember I sell to plumbers who use 'snakes' to open drains. Sam heartily avoided snaking drains.

Yeah, it's a groaner. But kind of clever just the same.

No comments: