Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Last night's Lions game

I've said that I don't follow sports as closely as I used to, and I don't. But I do still pay some attention. Yet last night's Lions-Packers game has reaffirmed my decision to pay less attention, particularly, quite frankly, to football.

It's for more reasons than the sheer brutality of the game (and it is too brutal; there are far too many lifelong, debilitating injuries suffered as a result of it). Football officiating, I believe in both the NFL and the college ranks, is simply too much of an influence on the outcome of the games.

I think it's because the rules are too loose. Football officials have far too much leeway in interpreting them, and this leads to far too much individual opinion on what is and is not called. Yes, I know this happens elsewhere: too many baseball umpires have their own strike zones. Yet the strike zone itself is quite clearly defined, and simply needs to be called more exactly across the board. In football, I've been told by a former official that's there's holding on virtually every down. As such, they should only call the egregious examples or ones which directly affect the outcome of a particular play. It leaves too much to interpretation, especially when the action is fast and furious.

I am not one of those who argue that referees and such should not call penalties. I do not accept the argument that they should 'let the players play'. If you're going to have meaningful games you have to have rules. If you have rules they have to be enforced. It's only fair: it's only right. Yet the rules and the people calling them must themselves be fair, must themselves have integrity. Without that I wouldn't want to play. If sports were only about chance, you may as well play roulette or poker rather than a more physical game of any type.

As such, I'm happy that my bedtime now precludes staying up late to watch debacles such as last night's Lions-Packers contest. I'm a happier, healthier man for it, and no thanks to the officials.










No comments: