Thursday, April 29, 2021

Sympathy pangs

A gentleman came into the Shop yesterday, saying a phrase which I have come to hate. When I expressed my doubt that I could help him immediately he replied, "I know you can do something for me Cosgriff."

The trouble with such statements is that what I can do and what he wanted done were totally incompatible. He wanted a miracle while I have to work in the practical. He needed a cage and a belt, neither of which I have. "You're looking at $425 and about two to four weeks," I explained. 

This news disappointed him; his expression sank like the Bismarck. He then spent the next 20 minutes shooting ideas at me in a pleading way. Yet there was nothing to be done. Cage, belt, a wait time. End of story.

I was truly sympathetic. The elevator didn't go all the way to the top floor but the guy was sincere. He wanted to work. He had work to do. I have more respect for him than the folks who sit at the top of freeway exits with cardboard signs. Yet there were no options. Without those parts I could do nothing. There was no way of fabricating something, no jury rigging which might be done to help him along. No alternative existed for me to help him.

I suggested renting a unit when he had a job, and even mentioned that renting something long term might be cheaper. Too, as I also said, check rental stores for used equipment. They often sell older units as they are replaced with new. But I don't doubt that money was an issue for him, and that was part of the problem.

I hope he figures something out because I want guys willing to work to be able to work. I do feel bad for his predicament. But when there's nothing you can do there's nothing you can do. 

It's just in many ways kinda sad.


No comments: