Wednesday, April 26, 2023

What I don't do I don't do

One of my less than favorite regular customers, I'll call him Cloyce just to give him a name, came in last week with a sawz-all, a power driven reciprocating saw. "Can you fix this for me Cosgriff?" he asked.

"Naw, I don't work on sawz-alls," I replied.

"Aw, Cosgriff, it might be something minor."

"I don't have time, Cloyce, I'm busy as hell."

"Could you just try?" he begged.

"Fine, Cloyce, I'll drop everything I know what to do to with and delay all my drain snake customers to work on your sawz-all," I responded in a clearly mad, sarcastic tone. I didn't care what he thought.

There was a broken wire in the power cord, so I tried fixing that. Nothing. "Cloyce, I just don't know what to do."

Cloyce begins rattling off suggestions. "What about brushes? What about this dial? What about this gauge?"

I finally half yelled, "I don't, know, Cloyce. It might be any of those things. I work on drains snakes, not sawz-alls."

"Okay, okay, Cosgriff," he answered, and took thing out. I hope he never brings it back too, but it's hard to make a point stick with guys like that. 

No comments: