Saturday, November 25, 2023

Take a Pill, Lions Fans

I never imagined myself saying this, because I am most certainly not Mr. Lions Fan. I do want them to win, I simply quit expecting it, given their history. Even earlier this year I was preaching caution because, yes, they look good and, yes, there may just be a different vibe to this squad, but there's a long road in front of them. Yet after their Thanksgiving loss two days ago I actually feel that I need to be the one putting a positive spin on things.

I know the last three games haven't been pretty, especially the Turkey Day loss. But judging from the reactions of several of my Facebook friends, it's the Apocalypse, the end times. "I knew Goff (the quarterback) wasn't the answer!' screamed one. "Thank you Lions, for sucking the joy out of Thanksgiving!" another lamented. "What was Campbell (the head coach) thinking on that fake punt?" moaned a third. "Their defense if awful!" I read on several pages.

Those are just examples to illustrate the point. But football fans, being far, far too emotional about what's only a game, seem to me the most fragile in the sports world. Goff's had a great run of 18 or 20 games; it's almost time he had a couple clunkers. And he did helm the Rams to the Super Bowl before Stafford did, you might recall. Campbell is doing what he's always done: being aggressive. It bit him this time, and he manned up and admitted his error. And everyone lays at least one egg (if not two, or even three) in a football season. This was one of Detroit's. It happens.

Take a breath, Lions fans. A deep one. I'm not sold on this team yet, but they are 8-3 and in command of their Division race. Okay, maybe they are tanking. Yet seeing what they've done the last half of last season and the first 11 games of this one, let's at least give them the chance to do good things. If I can manage that, so can you.

No comments: