Friday, February 2, 2024

The Lions

I've had this internal debate since Monday morning over whether I want to talk about the Detroit Lions or not. I'm still not sure that I want the bother, even as I'm clearly bothering right now.

Was it a good season? Yes. Their best ever, as some assert? Absolutely not. Best seasons are championship seasons. The baseball Detroit Tigers had good seasons in 1950, 1961, 1987, 2006, and 2012. They had a solid shot at winning everything those years. But their best ever years were 1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984, when they won it all. The others are mere footnotes, or worse: shoulda woulda coulda years.

Detroit should be happy about their recently ended football season, and understandably. But at day's end, they fell short. That can never be a best ever.

No comments: