Friday, April 27, 2018

The diplomat in the family

Diplomacy isn't just for diplomats. Why, I bet we could get on a lot easier in life day in and day out with a little more tact.
I explain this with one example in mind. A few years ago as my son Frank and I drove to Pittsburgh to see both the Tigers and the stadium, there it was raining buckets. The folks in Detroit will remember it as the day the west side flooded. It took my daughter around three hours to get home from work, a trip which usually takes maybe 20 minutes, due to washed out streets. The rain was that heavy and constant over many hours.
So perhaps we should not have been driving, as the rain was like that all over the middle west. Instead, I kept on keeping on. But the volume and intensity of rain was a concern for my son.
Yet he didn't make a big deal of it. Rather he at one point opined matter of factly, "You know Dad, I wouldn't think any less of you if you wanted to pull over for a while."
I think I actually chuckled a little. He made his point without being shrill or demanding. In fact, I believe he was properly considerate of his old man.
And that's how diplomacy should work. Everyone should employ it.



No comments: