Monday, August 17, 2026

Out Of The Loop

The things you learn as time goes by.

I had to take a car to a mechanic due to overheating issues. At one time I would have attacked the problem myself. I mean, the possible troubles are few (I did mess around with it a bit): radiator (which appeared all right) hoses (which showed no breaks or leaks) cooling fan (which seemed to work) and thermostat. Yet with all the additional hoses and valves and sensors which vehicles are mobbed with these days, I felt better taking it to an expert.

I'm glad I did. Did you know that 2010 Jeeps have not one but two thermostats? I'd have never guessed that. I would have determined where the one I expected was likely to be and not given a thought to finding another. To be sure, I might have tried You Tube videos (which have helped me diagnose and repair other problems on other stuff) but how long might that take? It's simpler to take it to a mechanic.

I suppose the complications make cars better. Still, it's a bit sad that Shade Tree Marty is out of a job.

No comments: