Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Snakes and Fords

An older gentleman came in the Shop the other day, wanting to know about a switch for his snake. When I asked what he had, he stooped over and with bowed arms demonstrated that his had a large drum. I apologetically said that that didn't really help me. I needed a make and model to get him the right switch.
He went right back into the same motion, the same position, explaining, "It has a big drum, like this."
"Sir, that simply doesn't help. Drums can be cage type, spun aluminum, or plastic. Maybe something else. Even color wouldn't necessarily help me, as they might have been painted from the factory original color. And there's dozens of snakes with large drums."
He was obviously dejected at that. "So I have to bring it in to you?"
"Either that, or call me with a make and model. Even then I'd rather see it, because things can get changed over time. Maybe someone put a different motor on it."
"Well, let me see if I can get someone to help me bring it to you." I genuinely felt bad for the old gent. But what he was asking was like needing a part for your car, and describing the vehicle as having four rubber tires and lots of glass and medal. Though less complicated than cars, snakes just aren't all that simple.
But I still feel bad for the guy.




No comments: